Crop farming is the critically important process if you want to eat and live healthily. As soon as the people have got to know the harmful effects of Genetically modified harvests, many people have tilted towards getting just the fresh farm food. Fresh crops are loaded with tons of nutrients. Here is the basic procedure of crop farming that’ll let you know how food comes into your plate.
Selection of High-Quality Seeds
For the growth of healthy and high yields of the crop, good quality seeds selecting is the most fundamental step to follow. If the quality of seed is not properly checked, it may cause several diseases in the future crop, as there are several seed-borne diseases that can cause serious damages. So, it extremely important to select the seeds of healthy plants beforehand.
The disease is not the only problem, low-quality seeds that are broken or shrivelled cannot provide enough nourishment for the proper growth of the seedling. If the farmer removes such broken seeds and separates them from healthier ones than good quality and healthier seedling can be ensured.
You can find various resources to get high-quality seeds for your crop. Other than that, farmers can use seeds from their production too.
Land preparation or Cultivation
Cultivation of land for healthy crop starts from getting the soil ready to give a home to the seeds for growth. Preparation of the soil or the land and the establishment of the crop go hand in hand, as, a well-prepared soil gives room to the crop to produce a high quality and uniform crop. Land preparation is the major step to get more yield from harvesting and often requires a tractor, truck or large vehicle. You can find a range of cheap, used trucks for sale if you don’t already have one. Previously, land preparation was done manually, but now it’s been done with electricity- assisted vehicles.
Benefits of Land Preparation
- It improves the texture of the soil by making it soft. The soft soil surface is helpful in preparing a good quality seedbed, thus easing the seeding process of the crops.
- It helps in reducing the bulk density of the soil by making it evenly spread out all over the place and by releasing its compact texture, eventually improving its soft texture for good seeding.
- Tillage process properly mixes up all the components and nutrients of the soil evenly and expose the organic matter of the soil on the upper surface of the soil thus making it in direct contact with oxygen.
- It also helps to control any diseases related to the soil and also help to control pests.
A perfectly done crop establishment is one of the most crucial factors in achieving maximum yield of the crops. Seeds of various crops can be potentially high yielding if the sowing is done on proper time. Timely sowing of the seeds is an extremely vital aspect of getting high-quality crops, followed by even and uniform spread of the plants.
Benefits of Successful Establishment of Crop in Profitability
- The quick, high and uniform yield of the new seedlings.
- With good crop establishment, the highly profitable crop is ensured as it causes the even growth of the seedlings and timely maturity of the seeds, which allows farmers to be timely organize the soil through weed control, insect control and application of fertilizers.
Another crucially important factor for high yield of the crop is water management in the soil. By reducing the level of stress in the soil, the farmer can increase the product. In addition to that, crops became highly sensitive to the increased level of water during the reproductive growth. The soil must be ready to provide just the right amount of water to the seeds, for maximum crop production. Water management is a tricky business, as it is observed that either the soil has a deficiency of water or contain a surplus amount of water; and both of these conditions are extremely harmful to high quality and increased production of the crops.
Benefits of Water Management or good Drainage System
- Properly managed water level ensures that nutrients are going deep through the roots, allowing them to grow perfectly.
- A well-planned water system increases the soil surface temperature. The warmer temperature of the soil helps in germination of the plant and also increase its growth.
- Highly systematic water drainage system also improves the structure of the soil, by making its texture and structure normal in both dry and wet cycles.
- With good water drainage system, the water seeps through in the roots well causing them to grow way deeper. This helps them to increase in volume and take water from deeper parts of the soil.
Management of distributing all the essential nutrients to your crop at different stages of the growth is extremely important for high yield. The implication of all the good quality nutrients at the right time ensures optimum yields of the crop and also affect the quality of the crop. The rule of nutrients application is simple if you want more you then add more nutrients to the soil.
After completion of the growth phase of the crop, the ripened crop is ready to harvest from the fields. The process of harvesting include all the steps of removing the prepared crop from the farm and then moving it to the secure locations for further processing, storage or distribution. A major factor that determines when to harvest the crop is the growth of the crop. If the growth is perfectly matured and ripened, then it is the right time to harvest.
Postharvest is the immediate step after the harvesting of the crops. This stage of farming includes getting the crop ready for further processing. At this stage, the crop is cooled, cleaned and sorted out. After the crop is cleaned perfectly, it is given to the packaging department.
After packaging the final product is distributed to the shops from where it goes to the consumers.